Tuesday, January 19, 2010

White Trash Mommy

As you read this post, keep in mind it's about 30 degrees in Indy today... So my afternoon patient canceled today, which meant I got to stay home with Boston (yea!). I had lots of errands to run, so I decided Boston and I would just take Mark into school, do our errands, and then come back to get him when he finished. It started off great. We did our first errand, and Boston was perfectly happy even being in the car. Then it got even better - Boston fell asleep in the car, so I decided it would be good to just go sit outside the dental school and study while Boston slept. About a half hour passes, so far so good. Then I realize I have to go to the bathroom... really bad. If you know my family, you know almost all of us get "spells," AKA gastrointestinal attacks that mean you need to find a bathroom, and pronto. I tried to ignore it for a few minutes (bad idea). Finally, I realized I needed to go, NOW! And I prayed and prayed I would even make it inside! So I dragged poor sleeping Boston into the school bathroom. He wakes up hungry and wants to eat, NOW! So I feed him (yes, right there in the bathroom). He's eating and all of a sudden lets out a huge fart that I just KNOW is a blowout. So I go and change him. Yep, it's a blowout. Luckily I always keep a spare outfit in my diaper bag. I decide to go to a more appropriate location to finish nursing him (the coat closet in our dean's office, AKA the "lactation station"). Just as he's finishing, guess what? Another HUGE toot! So I change him, again. And find that he blew out, again. Only this time, I don't have a THIRD outfit for him. So I get him all cleaned up, and this is how he looks:

Yep, that's certainly picture (and blog) worthy. As I'm getting him all put in his carseat, he starts crying (remember, he was rudely awakened from a deep sleep so that mommy could have a spell in the nasty bathroom prior to all this fun). So our dean comes out of his office to check Boston out (he has seven kids of his own, so he loves kids) and sees him sitting there with no pants. I have to defend myself, explaining that I do not make a habit of bringing my baby out in the dead middle of winter, with no pants. So I tell him what happened, and he just laughs. Actually, come to think of it, I think Boston has had a blowout every time I have fed/changed him at school. Just never two blowouts. So word to the wise: always carry TWO changes of outfits in your bag. Lesson learned.

Oh, and as an aside, I had several blankets with me, so Boston was perfectly warm on the trek back to the car...

9 comments:

Heidi said...

The worst is when they have a silent blowout... and it gets all over YOU! I don't know about you, but I don't keep an extra outfit in my diaper bag for me...lol:-)

Sara said...

LOL...That's about the funniest thing I have heard in a long time:) You're better than me, I would always forget to put extra outfits in my bag! Your story telling had me rolling!

Bonnie R. Paulson said...

LOL!!! That is so dang funny! What'd Mark say?

The Morgan's said...

Oh Kristin thanks for the laughs this morning! It totally cracks me up! Sometimes with infants, it seems like you have to keep an "emergency" tote full of clothes in the car for when the diaper bag ones get all used up!

Nicole said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicole said...

One time John and I were the speakers at a youth fireside, I held Cath while he spoke, and then we were going to trade. However, during John's talk she had a huge blowout, all over me. They had to buy some time while I cleaned up myself enough to speak. Not really though, it was ALL over me. The kids all knew what happened and were totally grossed out. I told John I thought we may have scared them away from dating and its results for awhile. He does look pretty cute with those little legs though.

The Gifford Five said...

That is hilarious! Harrison always had giant blowouts too. I always had to carry so many extra outfits, and sometimes he would just end up naked. Funny!

Lexie said...

This is just like my story at the mall. haha aren't they just great? Boston is so dang cute!

Unknown said...

Awesome Kristen! Thanks for making me laugh.