Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Happy Happy Birthday, Markie Dear!

Today is Mark's 28th birthday (or I guess yesterday was, depending on how late I get this posted), and he got to start it off by sleeping in until 11 am. We did have to go to school this afternoon, and his patient asked me, "So he's 30-what today?" Then she died when I told her 28, and we had a good laugh at my young gray-haired man. After school we went to Bonefish Grill and had a yummy saucy shrimp appetizer, awesome ceasar salads, and Chilean seabass. It was fabulous, but then Bonefish always is. When we came home, I had chocolate wonder ready for dessert. Only, it wasn't nearly as good as mom's. It just wasn't in the correct proportions - there was not nearly enough creamy filling or chocolate pudding for the amount of crust and topping the recipe made. I think I maybe should have put it all in a smaller dish. Either that, or my mom purposely gave me the wrong proportions so that hers would always taste the best... HMMM, maybe that's what happened. Other than that, we had a pretty chill night. I thought I would end it by paying a little tribute to my hubby...
Here are 28 well or maybe not-so-well known facts about Mark (in no particular order):
1. He is always goofing around and making me laugh (see picture).

2. He has a way of making people love him, even when he is being completely inappropriate or even down-right rude (For example, he asked one of my patients who had a gastric bypass a year ago to see some of her "fat" pictures, and she thought he was hilarious!).
3. He is a huge worrier, probably even more than I am.
4. He is very excited to be having a little boy - he secretly wished for it but didn't tell me until after we found out.
5. He has never changed a diaper (that'll change really quick!).
6. He is a germ-o-phobe, just like me.
7. He is deathly afraid (or maybe just deathly grossed out) by spiders - I always have to kill them.
8. He is very helpful around the house for about half an hour. After that he loses interest, or forgets he is supposed to be cleaning.
9. He likes weird music (or I think it's weird), like Tori Amos and Sinead O'Connor.
10. He is a huge Harry Potter fan, despite being adamant that he not read the series. (He got hooked when he tried to ruin the ending of the 5th book for me... it was all over after that.)
11. He is addicted to the news - google news and yahoo news, that is.
12. He really has an eye for decorating, although he denies it.
13. He really has an eye for fashion, although he denies it.
14. He loves his doggies and treats them as if they were people (see below).



15. He is a wander-lust... he would love nothing more than to venture out every weekend to a different place, even if that place is the danged covered bridges (see above - we have been there WAY too many times).

16. He has no patience (that should also change really soon!).

17. He was so excited to buy a Nintendo Wii for Christmas, and I can probably count on one hand how many times it has been used since.

18. He is an awesome cook - he could make something delicious out of just a few random ingredients in our cupboard (unlike me).

19. He gets frustrated and overwhelmed by the messes he makes when he does cook, which limits how often it happens.

20. He is the biggest procrastinator on the face of the earth (and as big of a procrastinator as I am, it is amazing we ever made it to and through dental school).

21. He is one of the smartest people I have ever known, but he doesn't know it.

22. Despite the above statement, he cannot punctuate a sentence to save his life (Actually, I think this stems from his impatience - see #16 - afterall, who has time for periods, commas, and semi-colons?).

23. He has very low tolerance for idiotic behavior, and his favorite phrase is, "Wise up."

24. After six years of marriage, in which we have been in school together (in all the same classes) the entire time, we still never get sick of each other. In fact, on days when one of us doesn't go to school, we are on the phone with each other the entire time.

25. We have never been apart for longer than about 24 hours, and he is very sad that he has to leave me all week to interview in Nebraska alone (He tried to convince my OB that it was OK for me to drive 10 hrs with him, at 35 weeks... probably not!).

26. He is extremely loyal and would back me on anything, even if I was in the wrong (although he might try to make me see reason afterward).

27. He tries to maintain a tough exterior (it comes off as sarcasm), but he is actually very kind, loving, down-to-earth, and generous.

28. He is going to be the BEST daddy in the world.

I love you, babe! Happy 28th (or 30-somethingth) Birthday!

2 comments:

The Morgan's said...

Happy Belated Birthday Mark!!! Sorry we didn't know it was your birthday! Sounds like you had an AWESOME day! Congrats!

Bonnie R. Paulson said...

Yep, Happy B-Day. And Kristin, If you don't mind, I am going to add a few of my favorites about Markster to your list!
M - Magnificent testimony (have actually had the pleasure of learning a few things from Mark about the gospel which has strengthened my own testimony).
A - Always a great friend - even when discussing udders...
R - Ridiculously "vehement" if he thinks/knows something is right and you "dare" to argue him. lol
K - Kind, a simple word, but one I refer to that kid often (remember, to me, you guys are like kids... well only by a year... lol)
Congrats guys! You are both two of my favorite people!