Friday, April 22, 2011

Dad and Uncle Ken's visit

This past week we had a quick visit from my dad and uncle Ken. My dad had a dental emergency and decided he might as well coax his brother into making a trip with him to have his treatment. Kristin and I were so glad he did. Once the dental visit was over, we were able to have a few days of fun before they had to drive back to St. George.

The night before they left to drive home we decided to have a BBQ outside. It has been such nice weather the past few weeks that we wanted to take advantage of being outside. The only problem was Kristin and I hadn't purchased a grill since moving from Indiana. We made a quick trip to the home store and ended up with this beauty. Ken and I spent a few hours putting it together while Kristin and dad went to buy the fixings for an amazing feast.

If you have ever put one of these together, you may know how much of a pain they are. Kristin and I put one together in Indiana and I swore I would never do it again. Well, when you visit the store and all the assembled ones have scratches and you don't have three days to wait for the store to put it together, I guess you do it yourself. They said it should take about 45 min. Well, Ken and I can attest to the fact it takes much longer than 45 min. I will again vow to never do this again.



Sue and Ken Anderson took my dad and Ken into the city on one of the days while I was working. They had such a great time. This was Ken Simkins first time visiting San Francisco so he wanted to see the Golden Gate. I will have to admit I was shocked when, on my day off, I gave them the option of visiting the Winchester gun museum and mystery house or returning to the city for the day, and my dad chose the city. I would never have pegged him as one who would pass up a gun museum for a city.


While in the city we took a bay cruise out under the Golden Gate and around Alcatraz island. It was foggy on the water but beautiful in the city.













We had to have a break for the traditional San Francisco favorite, clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl.


My dad's decision to visit the city all made sense as we approached these ships in the harbor. The San Francisco Maritime Museum. We were able to tour all these ships and go through some interactive displays about San Francisco's maritime past and beginning as a port city. It was very interesting and actually quite fun.





Once we had our fill of the water, ships, sourdough, and the city, we left, complete with sunburns and totally exausted. Overall we had a great time while Ken and Dad were here. So glad they could come for a visit.




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Gorgeous pictures. I'm coming over next.

Pini said...

You guys have had so many visitors lately! You've been busy! Looks like fun!